Tuesday 20 December 2022

Mad, Bad and Chompy

I wasn't expecting to have any more to show you guys so soon! 

I honestly don't think I've ever painted a character model so quickly. I thought it would take a few more days at least, but I just sort of fell into a groove after I wrote my blog post yesterday and somehow he just got finished. 

So may I present 'Mad' Gulg, da Gitkrumpa, finished and ready to slug it out on the 29th:



I had a lot of fun painting him. The sculpt is so nice, it just seemed to paint itself.

It helped that I wanted to keep things relatively simple in terms of the scheme and had a clear idea of where I wanted to go with it, so it was just a matter of following the steps. 


The warpaint was a last minute flourish which came about as a bit of a happy accident. After messing around with highlighting, I just couldn't get the face to look how I wanted. Eventually I just went 'fuck it' and covered it over with the white. The arm tattoos came as an extension of that, but between them it just brought the model to life and gave it so much character, I couldn't have asked for better. 

Anyway, he should be the very last model I paint in 2022. I honestly can't see myself getting anything more done between now and the end of the year. On a serendipitous note though, this takes me to precisely zero on my painting points, so not only have I clawed back the progress I lost last month, but I also get to start 2023 on a completely fresh hobby sheet!

I can't see it staying that way for long, but I can hope at least.

I'm hoping to be back shortly before New Year with my usual yearly wrap up post, but in the meantime I hope you all have a fantastic Christmas and I'll see you all again soon. 

1 comment: