Tuesday 4 January 2022

*Makes Helicopter noises*

After pledging to try to finish off my existing projects this year, I seem to have started the new year off on the right note:



Granted these were started in 2021 but they're done now and that's what matters.

I've actually been plugging away at these on and off for a couple of months. Considering they were starter box minis from about 15 years ago, there's a hell of a lot of detail on them, far more than I ever anticipated. It feels so good to finally get them moved onto my finished pile. 

They're mostly restored from my collection of old Ork models which I bought back in 5th Edition. Given the prices that they're going for on ebay atm, I'm really glad I had a stash! Anyone who got the old Black Reach Deffkoptas will also tell you what a pain they were to store without breaking the blades or flying stands. Luckily I've come up with a solution to both of those this time around thanks to the modern advent of 3d printing and magnets within the hobby:


The blades were about twenty quid from Etsy and I had the magnets knocking around anyway. Apart from a few hiccups with balancing issues, I think it's a pretty elegant solution for the question of how to transport them to games without spending my entire life repairing them!

The only downside I see with these is that I eventually want 18 of them in my Speed Mob list, so I've got a lot more work looming in the future to duplicate these twice. Still, it's nice to have these done for now, especially as I've got a crusade game planned for Friday where they'll make their debut against an unsuspecting Salamanders player, so that should be fun!

That's it for today though. I'm hoping to get more done this week, but we'll see how it goes. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm shocked it has taken GW so long to release these models since the Black Reach box set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It was a little ridiculous how we were left with the Gorkamorka one. Chalk it up to GW's dark period.

      We lost the option for Big Shootas in the transition unfortunately, but at least we get some cool models which are easier to paint in return.

      Delete
  2. Really iconic models, those Black Reach Orks. Having them magnetized not only helps with storage, but also gives you the opportunity to spin the helicopter blades and make the appropriate noises! I very much approve!

    ReplyDelete