My solution was pretty simple: carve a chunk off my negative painting points by going for an easy target.
That's how I ended up painting 32 Poxwalkers over the course of two evenings:
They were pretty easy to do. I mostly used washes and Contrast to go for a quick and dirty style, then using Blood for the Blood God to give them a little 'pop'. They've been on my To Do list for a couple of years though, so it feels pretty good to get them done.
After these, positive painting figures seems actually within pretty easy reach, despite my recent purchases, so I might take aim for a few more easy targets before I do anything else.
I'll decide on that later though. I also got my first couple of Orks done:
These took longer to do than I thought they would, which is a little worrying for the project as whole. I suppose these were test models though, so maybe I probably shouldn't worry too much. Obviously I'll get quicker the more of them I do!
I tell you what though, if I can maintain this level of painting across the whole army, I'll be really happy. Certainly an improvement on what I could manage ten years ago!