Friday 28 September 2012

Lots of WIP Thousand Sons

In contrast to yesterdays Space Wolves, I've decided to show my Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons, as the Forgeworld releases have triggered a wave of motivation within me to work on them

These have been a constant WIP for the last year, as I pondered which codex to use  to represent them. I think I've finally settled on using them as normal Thousand Sons until the Battle for Prospero FW book comes out, as the current buzz about Tzeentch units in the new 'dex is sounding quite tasty.

Anyway, on to the models. These aren't anywhere near as finished as my wolves, but I'm slowly working on them.



As you can see they've got the post-heresy helmets, which happened to denote members of the Scarab Occult before the Rubric. Every single model is going to have one of these helmets or go bare headed, as I want the force led by Arhiman, so the entire army is going to be Scarab Occult.

Game-wise these are going to be used as chosen, mainly because they're carrying a variety of close combat weaposn (they were orginally built as Grey Knights). I may end up giving these guys Jump Packs at some point and fielding them as Warp Talons with the mark of Tzeentch, but I'm to wait until I have the book in hand before I decide for certain.





This guy still needs a backpack, but as you can see, he's been modelled casting a spell. I avoided using traditional yellows and reds for the flames for two reasons. The first was so it wouldn't clash too much with the red armour, the second being that these flames are warp-spawned so wouldn't look natural anyway and the third and most important one was that I can't paint natural-looking flames to save my life!



 This guy is the closest to a finished model I've got at the moment. I just need to finish up his weapon arm, then attach him to the base and he's ready to go. I've included him so you can get a fairly good impression of what the squad will look like when it's finished.

As you can see, I've continued the purple flames across their weapons too, although I do need to sculpt more on. It started out as being there because i was going to use them to represent GK Purifiers (I may still do from time to time as allies for my Sons of Horus), but after settling back on the CSM codex again, they'll probably be for show, or representing combi-flamers if Chosen get the option for them

The blades themselves are scratchbuilt and attached to thunder hammers handles. I would have preferred to use Tomb King kopesh blades, they never seem to be in stock on bits websites and I've got no use for the rest of the kit, so it's not worth buying them brand new


I'm hoping to have these guys done by the end of next month, just in time to mark their anniversary of sitting unfinished on my desk, then I can move on to other shiny pre-heresy goodies

No comments:

Post a Comment