Monday 19 April 2010

Painting over Lunch

Between being an art student going into my final major product, the pressures of home life and having a girlfriend to keep happy, i often find that I've got very little free time to sit down and do hobby stuff.

However I've also said to myself that i won't buy any more models till i paint most of the ones I've already got, in an effort to clear my backlog

Unfortunately, i have all this and more to work through



So after much pondering, I've come up with a novel solution to my problem. It goes something like this:

I'm very lucky to live right next to where i study - five minutes walk each way

I get between 30-60 minutes of lunch break each day.

Take off walking time there and back and i can squeeze in between 20-50 minutes of hobby time into my otherwise jam-packed day, before returning to an afternoon of lectures

Sure, this time restraint means that i can't do anything too ambitious. It forces me to work in little steps. but also i find it's improving my painting skills by forcing me to think about things and plan them more thoroughly before i do them - something I've always had trouble with.

It's helped to set a task for myself for each session, like basecoat all my crossbowmen, or flock 20 bases, ensuring that slowly but surely, my armies are getting painted.

Here are some of my fruits of my labour so far


Dark Elf Crossbowmen



Space Hulk Terminator with Heavy Flamer. The flame was made from Green Stuff



Skull Pass Troll, painted over 2 lunch breaks, starting from a grey undercoat, then just using washes for the colours



A rather gruesome base for my Khaine-themed Dark Elves. This took the better part of a week to complete



WIP DE Manticore to be mounted on the base shown above. The other wing is being finished tomorrow


I'll post more up as they get done, but for now, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment