Friday 9 March 2018

Distractions (Again!)

I really am far too easily distracted. As much as I want to press on and get my 1000 point campaign army done and painted for the end of the current campaign leg on Monday night, I got somewhat sidetracked with building units for the next stage of the campaign instead.

I've got a pretty cool vision for my Thousand Sons. I want to base my army around the Order of Ruin. Essentially they're the siege and logistical experts of the legion. This triggered off an idea for me to build a 'Forlorn Hope' style Veteran Squad, where warriors who can feel the first stirrings of the Flesh Change are sent first into the breach during sieges to seek a glorious death.

There's also a cool snippet in the Talon of Horus novel where Khayon comments that the headcrests which Rubricae wear are actually styled after Prosperine funeral masks. This makes sense, considering that they're based on Egyptian Death Masks in the first place.

So combining these two ideas, I ended up building these guys:



They're going to be fielded as Veterans, geared up for close range firefights and ready to be deployed from the gorgeous new Termite models which are coming soon from Forge World. The use of the crested 40k heads for them indicates that they don't expect to return, a bit like VIth Legion Deathsworn, but with less wolfiness involved.

So if you're wondering why I can't just focus on one thing and get it done, this time you can blame ADB'S fantastic novel, a long night shift with nothing to listen to but audiobooks and my extremely hobby-addled imagination.

Hopefully I can get back on track this weekend, but we'll have to see.

Either way, I'll post more soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment