Forge World seem to be reading my mind at the moment. First they release their Thousand Sons upgrades just I'm about to get serious about completing my Thousand Sons and now I woke up this morning to find that they've released an FAQ answering a niggle which I had when building my latest army list last night.
Basically FW have put out one of their regular Errata/FAQ's for 30k, which (unlike GW proper) answers a lot of questions which have been cropping up recently, as well as buffing some of the naff options in the army list.
The full rules updates can be found on the FW Downloads page, but these are the main changes I picked out:
- Veterans can now take Heavy Flamers, Lightning Claws and Heavy Chainswords, which is what was mostly niggling me with my Thousand Sons, due to having a few Flamers leftover from Betrayal at Calth. They alsonow count as Scoring. This makes me very happy indeed.
- All Primarchs can now have Terminator Command Squads, instead of just those in Terminator armour. This makes a lot of sense. The Lords of the Legion should be able to take whatever bodyguard they like!
- They also clarified the rules on taking multiple 'must be your Warlord' characters. Basically you can't, unless a Primarch is also present to supercede the rule.
- Legion Delagtus got a points cut and a free master-crafter weapon. Very nice indeed!
- Knights got rules for all the options from the newer Warden kits.
- Tartaros Terminators can now Sweeping Advance. This is big in the 30k setting, where anything can be sweeped. I'm tempted to get some for my Sons of Horus now.
- Cataphractii Armour has been reworded so they can't pass on Slow & Purposeful to units without the rule. Thank you Forge World for killing off this cheesy exploit.
- Secondary Age of Darkness detachments can now be used. This is great, as it means I can pump up the number of Librarians in my Thousand Sons without weird ally shenanigans. You can only use FW Force Organisation Charts though.
- Dreadnoughts and Contemptors gained an extra attack and the Contemptor got the option for double Volkite Culverins.
All in all, a very nice and balanced update. This seems like a preview of what to expect in the updated Red Books. The changes to secondary detachments and Veteran options has certainly made me happy and the Warlord rulings, Knight and Dreadnought updates, along with the Terminator Command Squad clarification will satisfy the vast majority of people.
This is really what a good FAQ/Errata should be, answering genuine issues and tweaking for balance, instead of GW's approach of using FAQ's to boost profits, like they did when they gave the Heldrake a turret.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to see how many Librarians I can squeeze into 2500 points!