Wednesday, 15 September 2010

I think I'm finally getting somewhere...

A combination of holidays and isomnia the last few days has meant I actually got some stuff done, I've been cranking out the progress on my Dark Elves at a fair rate.

Sorry for the bad photos - I lent my good camera to the missus for some project she's got in the works, so I'm not going to see it for a few weeks. In the meantime, I'm making do with my crappier one. I'm not letting a bad camera stand in the way of an update

First up is the standard bearer for my plastic Executioners.

The unit is based off the Zealots from the Malus Darkblade books, so I hit a little snag when it came to the standard, as the Zealots had never gathered together on the battlefield, so what should i do for the banner?

My solution: make the standard look like it's made from skin tied to a pole. Brutal!

Next up is my attempt to add a little 'pop' to my manticore and make it stand out on the battlefield (as if a flying mass of claws, teeth and rage doesn't stand out enough!)

I think it was Shadow Grey I added to the mane, before washing it with Baal Red.Don't know what you guys think, but I don't like it so much. I just can't seem to get his mane right

And finally, I'm showing you some of the progress I've made on Lord Malakai and Arkeus. It's not much, but it's slowly getting there.

The wind membrane was done by painting a Bleached Bone basecoat then layering on various shades of black and brown washes.

You can also just about see the start I made on the rider. I'm painting him up and attaching him to his mount one stage at a time, starting with the body, then weapons, then the rest of his cloak (what you see there is just the groundwork). I'm giving myself a time frame of about another month on this, but uni work's going to start piling up soon so who knows.

All in all, i'm doing really well. All i've got left now that's grey plastic is this:

These should be undercoated black in the next few days, which will mean that evey single one of my Druchii are at least partially painted.

Progress is good!


  1. I love the wings. That is by far the best painted wings I've seen. Nicely done.

  2. Thanks. They'e taking forever to paint, due to the sheer amount of washes that are going into them, but it's paying off.

    Gryphonne Sepia gives a really nice leathery effect when used over Bleached Bone.