Saturday 4 September 2010

A whole load of Dark Elves

It's been a while since I've shown some progress on my Dark Elves, so I thought I'd show off what I've done.

Before I start, I just want to apologise for the awful pictures. My desk lamp needs a new bulb, so until then, there's huge shadows every time I take pictures. It will be fixed soon, I promise.

Anyway, on to the pictures...

First up is Arkeus, the Black Dragon of Lord Malakai, Vaulkhar of Karond Kar.

I built this guy last year but the wings kept snapping off when I it took it out to play a game with it, so I took the wings that came with the high elf dragon kit and replaced them with a pair of Manticore wings. Much more menacing with the claws, as well as looking a lot sleeker and much more compact, so it actually fits into a carry case now.






Next on the agenda is Malakai himself. I'm not sure what to arm him with. the dude I used to have on there carried a lance, but that kept getting bent out of shape, so I'm thinking maybe giving him a halberd, which would not only look cool, but also give him some close combat oomph if he's left high and dry by the random charging distances in 8th edition. I'd give him a magic weapon, but I want him to fit into 2000 pts, so I need to keep him under 500 pts, which means after buying the Dreadlord and Dragon, I'm left with 40 points left to equip him with. At the moment I'm thinking of fielding him as the following

Lord(140)
Dragon (320)
Halberd (6)
Armour of Darkness (25)
Repeater Handbow(6)

Total - 497

Yes, he's a little light on equipment and doesn't have a ward save, but he's being fielded in games where there won't be too many big things due to points restrictions and I can avoid the ones that do appear. He's there to sweep up the flank and hit big infantry blocks in the side with his breath weapon (which he can now use in combat mwahahaha!) I plan to team him up with a unit of Cold One Knights and see how that works.


Next up is the progress on my Corsairs. I'm testing a Baal Red wash for the armour, tying them in with the Khainite elements of the army. I don't like painting these guys, but they can bulk out my force until I have the money to buy my Witch Elves.




Here's the start of my attempt at a freehand standard for my corsairs. Just in case you can't tell, it's going to be a hand with a glowing sword coming out of a sea of blood. It's still early days and I have no idea how well this will turn out



My Cold One Dread Knight. I'm still pondering on whether or not to paint his mount red, to make it a bit different, as most people have green Cold Ones. Plus I feel that the red would fit the Khainite theme too





And my Sorceress. I've spent the longest time trying to to get a decent blood-like effect on the magic 'swirl' (being in the service of Khaine). There's still a lot of work to go into this and I need to find a replacement staff for her too. She's probably going to go on the back burner though until my Corsairs and Dragon is done




So what do people think? Any and all constructive criticism is welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment