Friday 30 August 2024

How I potentially ruined an expensive model!

I'm definitely back on the grind of the Troll Horde, this time with something BIG.

It all started when I went to order a Troll Hag from GW and they were out of stock. Being pretty impatient and on a deadline I tirmed to Ebay and found what appeared to be a pretty well painted one for a reasonable price. Bargain!


I don't normally buy pre-painted models, but like I said, I was on a deadline and this seemed really nice.

When it arrived though I found that it wasn't quite as nice as I first thought. It was by no means bad. There were just a few areas where they hadn't given it the attention it deserved, especially on the back. 



It was still nice, but it needed a bit of work, so over the course of the weekend I set to work bringing it up to scratch.

First up, it needed transferring to the correct base for Old World. A nerve-wracking 45 minutes with clippers and files later and it was done:


Next, after having chatted to the seller about his scheme, I set about 'punching up' the paint job.

The scales were my main area of focus, but I basically gave everything a good going over. I filled in the details on the contents of the net, added more shades, drybrush layers and highlights on the skin and pretty much fully repainted the base.

I think the only thing I left completely untouched from the original paint job was the staff.

Even if I say so myself, I think the final result is pretty awesome:

I absolutely love the final result. Not only was it really fun 'reverse engineering' the paint job, buy I feel it taught me a lot to bring forward into my future painting too.


I think the biggest issue to come out of this though is that the rest of my Trolls now feel criminally unpainted!


I'm not trying to blow my own horn by saying that, especially as I'd say 75% of the final result has come from.not my own paint job, I'm really just gobsmacked at how well it's come together.

If anything it's made wanted to go back and lavish more attention on the rest of the Trolls. Hopefully I'll have some time to do that before the event at the start of October. I've got a Wyvern and 6 more Trolls winging their way to me which I need to get finished first though. No big deal!

Honestly I think I'll be fine. I do my best hobby productivity under the pressure of event deadlines. It's how I've ended up with more fully painted Middle Earth armies than all the other systems I play combined. It's just going to be a busy few weeks for me.

Hope you enjoyed this post though. Until next time, happy hobbying!


No comments:

Post a Comment