Wednesday 24 January 2018

Downsizing my focus

I seem to have a strange inverse relationship between gaming and blogging. The more gaming I get in, the less I seem to blog and vice versa. It's time to change that. The more gaming I do, the more there is to blog about!

The last few weeks have been pretty packed. After my impulse splurge on Necromunda (swiftly followed by Gang War), me and a mate have been hammering out the basics of the rules and planning our starting gangs ready for a mini-campaign. 

On Sunday night we discovered the joy which could be had in improvising terrain!


Not a bad setup tbh. We just raided his kid's toy box for a few minutes so we could try the 3d terrain rules.This really does hammer home how much I need to crack on with 'Operation Homehammer' though, so we can have a proper terrain set for our games.

I never played the original Necromunda, but the new ruleset seems fun and easy to pick up. My poor  Eschers got hammered when my friend discovered the fun which could be had with Frag Grenades! By the time we reached our third game, we barely had to check the rulebook at all. We're really looking forward to cracking on with our two player campaign.

Here's his starting gang, built by me to his specifications:



Apart from having to raid bits boxes I forgot I even had for some of the more obscure equipment he bought, this was pretty easy to build. It's a nice change to be building models for someone else for once. It also means I can cheekily claim paintng points for them when I get them painted up for him too.

My Eschers will be put together as soon as I can source a couple of shotguns for them.

It's not just been Necromunda which has been keeping me busy either. With the new Age of Darkness rulebook out, my local club has started a 30k escalation campaign.

Not only is it awesome to see people in my area playing 30k again, it's the perfect excuse for me to work on my Thousand Sons.

My XVth Legion have been a slow-burn project for a long time. When Inferno came out last year,  the plan was to finally get them done. Then 8th Edition 40k hit like a truck and I got hopelessly distracted with my Emperor's Children.

This campaign basically gives me a reason to focus on getting small sections of the army up to the high standard I want them to be at.

This is my 1000 point force:


Just 25 models! The perfect size to paint without getting distracted. It's pretty nice to have these tight-focus projects to work on, rather than just having vague goals like 'I'll work on x army' where it's easy to get sidetracked. A lot of the Thousand Sons don't actually need much work to finish up either. The main push will be getting the transfers and detailing down.

I also had my first  campaign game on Monday night. I'm happy to report I gave some Space Wolves a good kicking.



Avenging Prospero one fur-clad savage at a time!

I'll post more soon

No comments:

Post a Comment