Saturday 20 May 2017

Back again and trying to be more productive...

It seems to be theme on this blog to start my posts with 'sorry I haven't posted for a while'. It looks like this grand tradition continues, as real life has gotten in the way of me having time to post anything recently.

Between work and the fact that the Pokemon VGC season is in full swing, I've barely had the time to hobby, let alone blog about it. With 8th Edition drawing nearer though, I'm wanting to get back into the swing of things and get an army ready to go for it. I'll post my full thoughts on the new edition at soome point soon, but for now I want to talk about how I'm going to get myself ready for it, as I'm pretty excited for most of what's on the way.

I'm aiming to get my Ordo Xenos force actually completed, or at least enough to be playable in time for 8th's launch. I technically have what I need to play the force already, but ideally I want it painted, as it's been sitting half finished for a couple of years now. This means ramping up my rate of painting considerably.

I know I've said this before, but I've come across an interesting concept which I want to try. You see, I listen to a lot of hobby podcasts whilst I'm at work. A lot of my work is pretty boring, repetitive and doesn't involve much human interaction, so podcasts help pass the time. One of the regular ones I listen to is The Imperial Truth (which is excellent btw, definitely check it out). One of the hosts, Greg Dann, is trying something called the '365 Challenge'. Basically, the challenge is to paint, build or generally make hobby progress for 365 hours in a single year. Whilst ideally this is an hour a night, it's quite flexible, so if you miss, for example 3 days, you just catch up by doing three hours in one go.

This idea intrigues me, especially as I'm one of those people who tends to make hobby progress in fits and starts, but can happily sit and paint all day once I've gotten going. So I've decided to give it a try, starting this week.

I'm six days into it atm and I've done 5 hours hobbying so far, so I'm off to a good start. Four of those were applying base colours to a Deathwatch Kill Team when I've gottenin from work in the mornings, the other was starting the write-up on the background for one of the members of the team. I consider the background to my projects to be just as important as the models themselves, so I'm counting it as challenge time. It also has the added benefit of allowing me to take a break from the painting side of things if I want to.

Here's how my progress is looking atm:



Not the best of pics I know, but I'm shattered from work right now. I'll get better ones after the next stage, which is washing and highlighting.

Of course a side benefit of this challenge is that I'll hopefulyl be posting here more often. I'm wisely not including blogging into the 365 total, as I'll have the temptation to simple post stuff on here instead of actually making progress on stuff.

Anyway hopefully this will work. I'll let you know how I get on!

No comments:

Post a Comment